[aur-general] Git over HTTPS

Tom Swartz tom at tswartz.net
Mon Jun 15 19:26:19 UTC 2015

Thanks for the replies.

> The OP should use a proxy, VPN, or other methods to punch a hole through
the corporate firewall for being able to access the aur host.

Unfortunately, this is not an option by any means.

With all due respect, requiring that a user punch holes in their security
firewalls is not a proper or long term solution to the issue at hand.

For home users, this might be a valid (although no less sane) solution, but
in corporate networks where the firewall rules are crafted for a reason
(e.g. to protect the rest of the devices on the network).

As I mentioned in my original posting, (and as several other users
mentioned) many of the solutions are server-side fixes.

I firmly believe that restricting access to SSH, port 22 only, is something
that will greatly hinder wide adoption.
At the very least, it will prevent myself from uploading/updating my
several AUR packages.

Cheers,
--
Thomas Swartz