[aur-general] How the "Popularity" value is being calculated for a package in the AUR4?

Connor Behan connor.behan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 16:33:56 UTC 2015

On 12/06/15 07:45 AM, Martti Kühne wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org>
> wrote:
>> No, and valuable != popular :)
>>
>> Any popularity contest is going to be biased in some way.  This is as
>> good a bias as any other.
>>
> And let's leave completely out of focus that the bias that is needed
> for a package to enter the official repositories is the personal
> opinion of a TU or Dev.
Does anyone know an easy way to hide "Popularity" with a userscript or
userstyle? I currently call
$("input[type=text]").unbind().attr("autocomplete", "on"); to disable
search suggestions since I can't stand websites suggesting that I do
popular things.

I'm sure this is a useful metric for some, but I'm not fond of seeing a
column of almost all zeros in searches. I think the only packages that
maintain a high popularity will be things like yaourt where people keep
voting it up because they mistakenly think it will one day go to
[community].