[aur-general] merging of aur3 comments into aur4

Connor Behan connor.behan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 16:50:45 UTC 2015

On 14/06/15 09:03 AM, Joakim Hernberg wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 14:01:45 +0200 Lukas Fleischer
> <lfleischer at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> We cannot merge comments easily as there would be conflicts with
>> comments added on aur4.archlinux.org in the meantime.
> Why would there be conflicts merging the comments?  Not that I know
> anything about the details of how this is implemented.

When a comment goes in the database, it contains the ID of the package
it belongs to as well as its own ID which should be unique in the set of
all comments. Now that Aur3 and Aur4 have different numbers of comments,
new ones cannot have their IDs blindly copied over. With an Aur3
comment, one would have to shift its ID by the number of Aur4 comments
added between June 8 and July 8. Its package ID will also have to change
to the ID of whatever package has the same name in Aur4. This is not
insurmountable, but since there is ample warning this time, I think it's
fine to request that users double post if they really think their
comment belongs on both Aurs.