[aur-general] Merging ruby-jekyll into a single package

Hugo Osvaldo Barrera hugo at barrera.io
Tue May 19 18:07:15 UTC 2015

On 2015-05-16 17:30, Allen Li wrote:

> One problem is that the different gems have different upstream versions
> (ruby-jekyll 2.5.3, ruby-jekyll paginate 1.1.0, etc).
>
> However, ruby-jekyll should definitely depend on all of its
> dependencies, which it does not do currently.

This would cause a circular dependency. Or should the plugins not have jekyll
as a dependency (even though they can only be used via jekyll)?

On 2015-05-16 17:20, Anatol Pomozov wrote:
> Hi
>
> The simplest and the most logical way to handle it is to follow
> upstream packaging. It means keep gems in its separate arch packages
> and avoid bundling.
>
> There is a tool called gem2arch (https://github.com/anatol/gem2arch)
> that automatically updates PKGBUILD files, generates new packages if
> needed. Managing gem dependencies is hard and gem2arch was implemented
> to make the package management automatic.

The problem isn't so much as a maintainer, but rather for downstream users
(circular dependency issue, or too many packages for just one actual program).

--
Hugo Osvaldo Barrera