[aur-general] [aur-dev] [PRQ#4382] Deletion Request for b43-firmware

Ben Oliver benoliver999 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 16:40:32 UTC 2015

On 20 November 2015 at 16:22, Mark Weiman <mark.weiman at markzz.com> wrote:

> The word file is a fine word to use and is used correctly.
>
> As a verb, file means to make application (to file a complaint; to file
> for a job; to file a request).  Since this follows a definition of the
> word, I see no reason to have it need to be changed.

The 'as a verb' part is what is causing the issue, because as a noun it is
frequently used to refer to something fundamental to Unix systems.

That said, I am surprised this has come up, and it got a laugh out of me!
'File request', in the way it has been misconstrued here, would generally
be written 'Request file' or 'Request this file'.

How many people are going to ignore the options above it and go to the
effort of sending a message that says 'i want this file', expecting magic
file-giving results? Probably not enough to warrant a change.

Weirdly interested to see what comes of this.