[aur-general] Issues Pushing

Lukas Fleischer lfleischer at archlinux.org
Wed Oct 7 06:36:14 UTC 2015

On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 at 06:40:36, David Phillips wrote:
> [...]
> I committed changes to an already-established AUR package, and
> attempted to push these commits. Running `git push` on my slow
> connection just hangs. 'Impatient me' killed it after 5 minutes of
> hanging. Trying to push from a faster connection, I found it uploaded
> almost instantly. Setting GIT_TRACE_PACKET=1 when running `git push`
> showed up a (warning: large) log [1] showing that git is being sent a
> bunch of refs (?), presumably for packages which aren't even mine.
>
> On a slow connection, this makes updating AUR packages to impossible.
> It takes a solid 20 minutes for the push to complete for me. I won't
> maintain AUR packages if this is the way it's going to be. Even though
> faster connections solve the time problem, it then becomes an issue of
> the amount of data transferred needlessly.
>
> Why is this happening? IIRC, the IRC folk mentioned something about
> the underlying structure of the git repository at the AUR end, but I
> don't know enough about this stuff to say either way.

Exactly. Internally, we use one huge Git repository to store all AUR
packages and gitnamespaces(7) to make that single repository look like
different repositories to the outside world. One situation where this
does not work is ref advertisement. As you noticed, all refs of the
internal repository (i.e. the HEAD refs of each package) are advertised.
We are working on improving that.