[aur-general] Feedback for rmlint-git and call for a TU

christopher at ira-kunststoffe.de christopher at ira-kunststoffe.de
Thu Oct 15 00:35:53 UTC 2015

Hello Leonidas,

by using the PKGBUILD directly it should work in all cases.
The problem was really that rmlint was built on a system that has SSE
4.2
but was shipped to one as binary where it is not available.

The build systems actually used to check the presence of a SSE 4.2
capable cpu,
but that only works when you build it yourself. The auto detection is
still there,
but has to be enabled using `--with-sse` explicitly now (not
recommended for packagers).
It's probably best to remove it alltogether since rmlint also supports
xxhash which looks a bit more stable.

After all, SSE 4.2 support for rmlint is really very unimportant. Only
one hash function
has an option to use it (CityHash, not even the default) and I used to
think "Well, why not pick it up if it's there".
I don't have any metrics myself of how fast the normal variant is
compared to the SSE variant,
apparently I only own AMD/ARM hardware currently.