[aur-general] pandoc in community vs. pandoc-bin

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 22:15:09 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 4:27 PM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the question, but I'd like to understand if pandoc-bin in
> AUR offers something the new pandoc in community doesn't.
>
> Before, there was no pandoc package under the repos, and there was no
> really full solution but the pandoc-bin.  However I'm wondering if
> that's already covered by pandoc in community now.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Javier

I believe *-bin packages are traditionally the upstream precompiled,
standalone binaries.

There should be no difference except that the *-bin package was tested
upstream and is guaranteed to work, whereas the repository/AUR package is
built against the system libs and stuff, and should work (but occasionally
doesn't).

--
Eli Schwartz