[aur-general] namcap - games group & non-standard directory

respiranto respiranto at icloud.com
Tue Sep 22 19:16:03 UTC 2015

Hi,
I have just finished packaging freesweep, a minesweeper-game, after
having had many problems to do so.

Anyways, the current problem is, that namcap complains about:
/var/games/freesweep/{,sweeptimes} being owned by root:games (E) and
/var/games/{,freesweep/{,sweeptimes}} existing in a non-standard
directory (W)

The point is, that freesweep needs a file, that any user can write to.
The way this would be done by `make install' is exactly how I did it in
the PKGBUILD - make the file (sweeptimes) and its directory owned by
root:games and give the games group write permissions.

Some days ago, Justin Dray proposed to do exactly this to solve a more
or less identical problem [1], however I would like to avoid pushing a
PKGBUILD whose package does not pass namcap.
So is there any better way to achieve what I want to?

Furthermore I don't know, how strict the policy to only use standard
directories, as listed here [2], is.
And why does the /var/games directory exist if a package may not use it?
May it only be populated by installed programs?

[1]
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2015-September/031535.html
[2]
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_packaging_standards#Directories