[aur-general] Split packages

Vanush Misha Paturyan misha at cs.nuim.ie
Mon Aug 22 13:54:34 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 01:14:14PM +0200, Bruno Pagani wrote:

> Le 22 août 2016 12:53:04 GMT+02:00, Lukas Mosimann <mlukas at ethz.ch> a écrit :
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Christoph Gysin came up with the problem of split packages that
> >conflict
> >each other, which is implementable in a PKGBUILD.
> >
> >As an example consider
> >https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=pasystray which
> >defines pasystray and pasystray-gtk2 which cannot be installed both at
> >the same time. Neither aura nor yaourt supports such packages.
> >
> >There is no other package known to me, but there should be some
> >clarification, whether such a package is allowed.
> >
> >In my opinion, already the name "split package" indicates that these
> >should not conflict, otherwise it would not just be a split package,
> >but
> >rather something like a "versioned package".
> >
> >In order to come to a conclusion for the discussion in the comments of
> >that AUR package, I would kindly ask you for your thoughts concerning
> >this problem.
> >
> >Best,
> >Lukas
>
> AFAIR, the intent of split packages is to avoid downloading the
> source/building multiple times when possible in case you want to
> install part or all of the corresponding packages.
>
> Thus, I think there is no point in conflicting split packages, and
> regarding your example, that should then be two different packages.

But then you will have two PKGBUILDs that only differ by few lines
within the build() function, and two separate repositories to support
them. They are not two different packages, they are the same package
but compiled differently. I think it makes sence to have one PKGBUILD
that can procude different packages, and they have to conflict with
each other to make sure someone does not install both at the same
time. If tools cannot handle it then tools should be modified to allow
for this workflow.

just my two cents.

Misha

--