[aur-general] Split packages

Levente Polyak anthraxx at archlinux.org
Tue Aug 23 09:25:35 UTC 2016

On 08/22/2016 01:58 PM, stefan-husmann at t-online.de wrote:
>> In my opinion, already the name "split package" indicates that these
>> should not conflict, otherwise it would not just be a split package, but
>> rather something like a "versioned package".

that's wrong, split packages are there to build multiple packages from a
single source without the need to duplicate PKGBUILD that use the very
same source.

> I think Christoph is completely right here. The only issue I have with his PKGBUILD is
> that the conflict line should appear in both package functions and indicate the
> conflict to the other package.

That's not needed, not everything needs cross-conflicting to all other
packages providing the same.
In your example you simply add to your pasystray-gtk2 package() function
that it conflicts and provides pasystray, thats it.
The pasystray does not need to know anything about the gtk2 variant.

> yaourt and aura are unsupported tools.

Totally right and its irrelevant how well those tools support such cases.

cheers,
Levente