[aur-general] Split packages

Chi Hsuan Yen yan12125 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 13:11:55 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 7:32 PM, Levente Polyak <anthraxx at archlinux.org>
wrote:

> On 08/22/2016 04:02 PM, Chi Hsuan Yen via aur-general wrote:
> > FWIW, I have a Python script [1] that generates multiple PKGBUILDs from a
> > template file PKGBUILD.template and a parameter file pkgs.json. I wrote
> > this script to manage Python packages targetting different Python
> versions.
> > (for example python2-xxx and python-xxx) It may be helpful in such cases,
> > too.
> >

> That pretty much defeats the whole purpose of split packages. If there
> is something like "the one showpiece" then it is to unify python2- and
> python- variants into a single PKGBUILD.
> I honestly recommend you get a bit familiar with split packages and
> unify all your separated python packages into a single PKGBUILD.
>
> cheers,
> Levente

At first I used split packages for python-* packages in my AUR repo.
However, since pacman commit e8deba3b87784ca14c9afc908046f36a3ad7578c,
[1][2] there's no way to build a subset of split packages. That is, people
who use Python 3 (or Python 2) only need to install both Python versions to
build my package. It would be nice if I can use a single PKGBUILD and build
only a subset of split packages with makepkg.

Best,

Yen Chi Hsuan

[1] https://git.archlinux.org/pacman.git/commit/?id=
e8deba3b87784ca14c9afc908046f36a3ad7578c
[2] https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2015-
September/020347.html