[aur-general] Split packages

Levente Polyak anthraxx at archlinux.org
Tue Aug 23 14:38:07 UTC 2016

On August 23, 2016 3:11:55 PM GMT+02:00, Chi Hsuan Yen via aur-general <aur-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
>At first I used split packages for python-* packages in my AUR repo.
>However, since pacman commit e8deba3b87784ca14c9afc908046f36a3ad7578c,
>[1][2] there's no way to build a subset of split packages. That is,
>people
>who use Python 3 (or Python 2) only need to install both Python
>versions to
>build my package. It would be nice if I can use a single PKGBUILD and
>build
>only a subset of split packages with makepkg.

Effectively (without any intend to blame or offend you) but you are very
aware of this and simply ignore it on purpose.

Its not really ideal to not use split packages just because you don't
want people who build it to install both variants of the dependencies.
If people don't want those in your/their system, then you/they should
build it in a chroot (which I recommend either way).

I get your point but I still recommend unifying those into a split
package and conform decisions that are made. I don't see where building
both variants is too much of a hassle. Those should be optimized in a way to be as sane related to structuring and building as possible and not how convenient it is to install it via wrapper X directly out of the AUR.
It should be considered more like a staging area for the regular repositories, following its rules. It's always a hassle to invest a day before being able to move a package from the AUR just because they follow something else like not using split packages etc.

cheers,
Levente