[aur-general] Split packages

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 15:18:51 UTC 2016

On 08/23/2016 11:03 AM, Chi Hsuan Yen via aur-general wrote:
> Using clean chroots is definitely the best way to build a package, while it
> may not be practical for ordinary users. Installing a chroot takes quite a
> few minutes, lots of network usage and several hunders of megabytes, which
> is a high burden if I just need a package with 1MB.

Not really true.

`arch-nspawn`, which `makechrootpkg` uses instead of chroot, will
bind-mount the pacman cache into the systemd-nspawn container. As a
result, most packages will not need to be downloaded, since they were
already downloaded when you installed them on your system. Any packages
which were not already downloaded, would need to be downloaded my
makepkg anyway.

Granted, setting up a chroot still takes time and disk space. Also keep
in mind, though, that chroots can be reused.

It doesn't really matter. `makepkg -sr` works just as well to get rid of
unwanted makedepends after building.

The *only* reason for wanting to avoid split PKGBUILDs is to avoid the
burden of having to build both packages if you only need one of them.
Any and every other consideration can and should be ameliorated simply
by knowing how to properly use the tools you are provided.

--
Eli Schwartz