[aur-general] Split packages

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 15:41:02 UTC 2016

On 08/23/2016 11:27 AM, Chi Hsuan Yen via aur-general wrote:
> All Python build commands can be put into package(), while GTK applications
> not. It doesn't make a difference with current pacman and makepkg, though.

You can put whatever commands you want in package(), gtk or otherwise.
Which I think is exactly what you are doing in regards to python.

The package() function is meant to separate the final step of copying
over files into the pkg/ tree independent of everything else, ideally
src/ should be treated as close to readonly as possible during package().

During the installation of a python package, it figures out the list of
modules defined in setup.py and copies them into the right hierarchy in
build/ as well as compiling any potential binary components. Then it
copies the contents of the build/ hierarchy (whatever that may be,
irrespective of the original source code) into the installation root.

Just because it is copying files around rather than running them through
a C compiler, that makes it less of a build() sort of thing???

--
Eli Schwartz