[aur-general] Split packages

Doug Newgard scimmia at archlinux.info
Tue Aug 23 15:59:43 UTC 2016

On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 11:33:38 -0400
Eli Schwartz via aur-general <aur-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> > PKGBUILDs are based around 1 build, not one source.
>
> Says who? I'll say that PKGBUILDs are based around "one logically
> contiguous thing to desire to create"...

How about the Pacman/makepkg developers?
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/38160

> > You call multiple PKGBUILDs abuse. I call copying the entire source and running
> > two builds in a single PGKBUILD abuse. There is only one build function for a
> > reason.
>
> FUD aside, the prevailing opinion by Developers, Trusted Users, and AUR
> contributors is against you.
> As Levente said, it is not very sensible to maintain and bump pkgvers
> for multiple PKGBUILDs, then download and build them all separately one
> by one.
>
> As a maintainer, it is a waste of effort, and as someone building both
> packages, it is a waste of effort.

So the minority opinion is automatically wrong now? The devs I've talked to
will admit it's a hack, it just doesn't matter much in the repos so they think
it's worth it. The AUR is different. I was just going to let this topic go
until you started going after someone who was doing things right, even though
it's slightly more work for them.