[aur-general] Disconcerting commit dates and lack of comments for slickpicker

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 18:12:54 UTC 2016

On 08/31/2016 01:36 PM, ShadowKyogre via aur-general wrote:
> I'll be re-putting the updates on the AUR.
>
> Hopefully they don't disappear this time. I'll have to make local clones
> of all my AUR packages so this doesn't happen again.

Why do you not already have local clones?

It seems a bit... inefficient... to re-clone a repository under someone
else's control every time you want to update something.

So, why should AUR packages be different from any other form of source code?

If you want a good example of a way to manage multiple AUR packages,
this is what I do (uses git subtrees):
https://github.com/eli-schwartz/pkgbuilds/tree/base

It has the advantage of preventing common maintainer mistakes
(forgetting to update .SRCINFO/updpkgsums, autofilling default commit
messages, handling remotes on-the-fly for new packages, etc.)

Basically, additional reasons for being ordered about this sort of
thing, in case you weren't convinced already. :)

--
Eli Schwartz