[aur-general] PKGBUILD: depends vs. makedepends and namcap warning

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Mon Jul 11 08:38:41 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 10:18:32AM +0200, Lukas Böger wrote:
> Dear AUR list,
>
> simple question about dependencies in PKGBUILDs:
>
> Package A provides some header files and build scripts. Package B
> provides additional headers, and their usage only work out if A's
> headers are in place. Additionaly, package B can only be compiled using
> A's build scripts.
>
> 1) Is it correct to have package A in B's depends AND makedepends arrays?

In general, no.  If you need a dependency both at compile time and at
runtime, you should put it in depends only.

> 2) Am I supposed to ignore namcap's warning 'Dependency included and not
> neede' because it doesn't take header dependencies into account?

It seems similar to this situation: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/48277

Basically, your package B looks like a library.  B should only makedepends
on A, and any package depending on B should also makedepends on A.

The rationale is that header files and build scripts are not needed to run
a program, so they should not be installed as dependencies.  They should
only be installed as makedepends, for every package that needs them (even
indirectly).

One such example is boost:

  https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/boost/

Baptiste