[aur-general] [RFC] Limit the height of AUR comments

Mark Weiman mark.weiman at markzz.com
Mon Mar 7 05:03:53 UTC 2016

On Sun, 2016-03-06 at 22:09 +0000, Eric Engestrom wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Every now and then, someone will post a huge dump (log, error messages,
> etc.) to the AUR comments. Besides being usually useless, those comments
> force everyone to scroll for a while before getting to the next comment.
>
> What do you guys think about adding something like this to limit the
> vertical space taken by such comments?
>

> > #news div p {
> >   max-height: 10em;
> >   overflow: auto;
> > }
> If the idea is approved, I can send a proper patch ;]
>
> An example of such "dumb dump" can be found at:
> https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/nvidia-vulkan-beta/?comments=all#comment-535
> 438
>
> Cheers,
> Eric

It's rather frowned upon to post monolithic comments of that nature. Assuming
your change makes it so that comments are in their own scrollable box if they're
too long, it would be a change I'd be for.

We've had this problem a few times and usually comments get deleted or a TU
copies and pastes the original comment to pastebin (or similar) and modifies the
comment to simply link to it.

Mark Weiman