[aur-general] AUR airvpn-portable changes files in userfolders, DO NOT INSTALL

respiranto respiranto at icloud.com
Wed Mar 30 18:07:32 UTC 2016

On 2016-03-30 18:51, Borja Ruiz wrote:
> +1 for quick deletion. No further questions.
>
> Wed, 30-03-2016 a las 17:59 +0200, stefan-husmann at t-online.de wrote:
>> -----Original-Nachricht-----
>> Betreff: Re: [aur-general] AUR airvpn-portable changes files in userfolders,
>> DO NOT INSTALL
>> Datum: 2016-03-30T17:13:15+0200
>> Von: "William Di Luigi" <williamdiluigi at gmail.com>
>> An: "Discussion about the Arch User Repository (AUR)" <aur-general at archlinux.o
>> rg>
>>
>> But is deleting the package really the best route? Why not let the
>> maintainer know and let them fix the package? This is not a virus isn't it?
>>
> I would consider such anti-pattern as a virus, as it could potentially
> overwrite/destroy data out of pkg manager domain. Think about production
> environments. This is unacceptable.
>
>> --
>> The maintainer has some other packages for airvpn which do not try to be
>> "portable" in the MS-Windows manner.
>>
>> AUR packages may not change the users' HOME directories, that is the rule. 1+
>> for quick deletion.
>>
>> Best Regards
>> Stefan

Note that this package does *not* write to any file in $HOME, but
instead it packages certain files to be installed in $HOME. pacman would
still complain if any package's file would conflict with an existing one.

Correct me if I am wrong, but even though this package clearly violates
the packagin standards, I do not believe it to be that critical that we
need to make a big deal of it.

The .install file does some things which could in theory delete user
data (e.g. `ln -sf'). however it does so in a directory that belongs to
the package, which is expected behaviour in .install files.