[aur-general] AUR hook: "missing source files"

Eric Engestrom eric at engestrom.ch
Mon May 2 16:14:08 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I wrote a package for the Coverity [1] scan build tool, but they require
manual download of their tarball, hidden behind a login [2]. Because
of that, my `source` array contains a filename with no URL, as you're
meant to download it manually and build the package afterwards.

When trying to upload my package to the AUR, its hook rejects it,
citing "missing source file":

  remote: error: The following error occurred when parsing commit
  remote: error: f468427b563a71e81656a849b1145166be3449ec:
  remote: error: missing source file: cov-analysis-linux32-7.7.0.4.tar.gz
  remote: error: hook declined to update refs/heads/master
  To aur at aur.archlinux.org:cov-analysis
   ! [remote rejected] master -> master (hook declined)
  error: failed to push some refs to 'aur at aur.archlinux.org:cov-analysis'

I can bypass that check by adding an empty file that will fail checksum
check when the user tries to use it, but I'd prefer no file to be there,
so it's clear to the user that they need to download the file using the
provided URL.

I've pushed it on my GitHub [3] in the mean time, so you can have a look
and tell me if I'm doing something dumb :]

Cheers,
  Eric

[1]: https://scan.coverity.com/
[2]: https://scan.coverity.com/download