[aur-general] Advice needed maintaining boost-compute

Julien JPK julienjpk at email.com
Fri Nov 11 16:37:23 UTC 2016

Hello!

I recently started maintaining small AUR packages (basically just
updating version numbers on git packages and so on), and I came into a
little situation when updating the boost-compute [1] package.

The package is basically a header-only library, typically providing
files under /usr/include/boost/compute. The package can be installed
without trouble using the usual makepkg + pacman -U combo.

However when I tried to install the package using yaourt, I realised a
little something: the package depends on boost [2], which now seems to
provide the boost-compute library as part of its own code. This means
that when I install boost-compute using yaourt, it first pulls boost
from the extra repositories, which brings the include/compute/ files,
and creates a conflict when boost-compute comes afterwards (yaourt seems
to detect the conflict and therefore stops).

I'm guessing the reason why the makepkg approach works is because it
doesn't run these checks, and the boost files are simply overwritten
(the PKGBUILD runs a simple cp). So here's what I'm hesitating about:

- Should I ignore yaourt, and keep maintaining boost-compute separately?
I guess this could be of some use if at some point the library gets
updated and Boost doesn't bring the changes in immediately (those in a
hurry could simply overwrite the Boost files with pacman -U).

- Should the boost-compute package simply be deleted, since it requires
boost anyway, and Boost is probably going to update the compute code
fast enough?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

[1]: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/boost-compute/
[2]: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/boost/