[aur-general] TU application for Eli Schwartz

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Wed Dec 13 12:57:41 UTC 2017

Hello, all. :)

My name is Eli Schwartz, better known as eschwartz on the forums[1],
AUR[2], bugtracker[3], wiki[4] general mailing lists, IRC, and generally
everywhere I can stick my nose in. With the aid of Bartłomiej
Piotrowski, I am applying today to become a TU.

I'm 24 years old, and currently studying Computer Science in the United
States.

I've been interested in Linux ever since I was first introduced to it in
high school, when I asked "what would be the best Linux distro to
install if I really want to learn how things work", and I was
recommended to try out Arch Linux. It's a choice I haven't regretted since!
Outside of Linux my main hobby is books/ebooks (primarily SF&F of all
sorts). I have leveraged this nicely to feed back into software which
deals with ebooks. :)

I've now been an active member of the Arch Linux community for
approximately 3.5 years, and in that time I've become a member of the
Arch Bug Wranglers team, given an Arch Classroom tutorial[5],
contributed a few small patches to various Arch projects, mainly
pacman[6], and generally hung out on the forums and in IRC, trying to be
helpful. Recently I've been doing a bit of general helping out in
#archlinux-reproducible[7] as well.

I've always been especially interested in packaging for Arch Linux, and
have reviewed many PKGBUILDs on this mailing list as well as in the AUR
Issues, Discussion & PKGBUILD Requests subforum and in #archlinux-aur,
written a popular script for maintaining AUR packages[8], and featured
the topic of packaging for Arch Linux in the above-mentioned Arch
Classroom tutorial. I anticipate doing all^W^W^Wmost of this in a
somewhat more formal role. :)

I would like to become a TU in order to contribute more to Arch Linux in
general (because it would be a shame to miss out on one particular angle
I guess). It would also give me more scope to help fix simple packaging
bugs that come up on the bugtracker, help resolve some policy TODOs[9],
fix packages which no longer build due to e.g. missing sources (many
such packages have been discovered in part due to the valiant efforts of
Reproducible Arch Linux and Arch Linux 32), and of course to bring some
packages to [community] that I feel would do well there.

If given the opportunity, I would consider bringing the following
packages to community:
- firefox-extension-https-everywhere (I conmaintain this)
- fanficfare (I maintain this)
- git-crypt
- advancecomp
- llpp
- wikicurses
- ghi
- dtrx
- checkbashisms

I would adopt the cinnamon desktop packages, as faidoc is not very
active currently and arojas, who currently builds them, says he'd prefer
someone who actually uses it to do so.
I've also received permission to comaintain sigil and qbittorrent, as
well as calibre and its dependencies (I maintain the -git packages for
all three in the AUR, and have contributed most of the calibre PKGBUILD
as well).

[1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/profile.php?id=84187
[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?SeB=M&SB=n&K=Eschwartz
[3] https://bugs.archlinux.org/?project=0&do=user&id=19965