[aur-general] Pruning Old / Abandoned Packages

John D Jones III unixgeek1972 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 19:53:46 UTC 2017

On 2/23/17 12:36 PM, Dan B via aur-general wrote:
> I make an attempt to get packages working before submitting removal requests.
>

> I'm 100% in agreement with this.
>
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 12:51 PM, Lex Black <autumn-wind at web.de> wrote:

For me, if there aren't any upstream sources, or forks, what not, but
the pkgbuild still builds, I'll usually locate a source package
'somewhere' and host it on my own site to keep the pkgbuild working. If,
for some weird reason, there aren't any tarballs to be found, or perhaps
there's some exotic license involved that makes self hosting impossible,
only then will I submit a removal request. But typically, someone
somewhere has a source tarball for a given app/utility, a little bit of
research can go along way to keep old programs available for those that
choose to use them.

--
Thanks,
John D Jones III