[aur-general] Package review bitcoin-classic

Bruno Pagani bruno.n.pagani at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 17:53:46 UTC 2017

Hi Tom,

Le 07/01/2017 à 16:41, Tom Zander a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I created some AUR packages after various people requested it (I'm the
> upstream release manager) and since I'm rather new to packaging in Arch, I
> would love to have some feedback. Arch packaging is consederably easier than
> debian, I might add ;)

Definitively agree. I came to Arch because of the philosophy, I stay
here because of PKGBUILD among other things. ;)

> There are 4, almost identical, versions.
>
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bitcoin-classic/
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bitcoin-classic-daemon/
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bitcoin-classic-git/
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bitcoind-classic-git/
>
> I inherited some of those, hence the slight difference in naming. Not sure
> if renaming is possible and if the bitcoind- one may be more easy to find
> under a different name.

I’ll eventually make a review a bit latter (need to fix things following
review of my own packages), but regarding the name, yes it can be changed:

1. Change the pkgname in the PKGBUILD.
2. Get current origin remote URL using `git remote -v` in your local
package git clone.
3. Change it to the new name using `git remote set-url origin <newURL>`.
4. Push changes.
5. File a merge request on the old package toward the new one.

This way, you will preserve git history, comments and votes (and even
maybe notifications for suscribed users, but I’m not sure about that one
— if not, this could be a nice feature to have in AUR). I’m not sure
whether such move are very common, if so maybe the AUR web could propose
such a feature (or maybe it does exist and I missed it…).

Regarding naming for daemon between `d` suffix or `-daemon`, I have no
opinion and either most people here don’t have one or agree to the only
answer you got before[0], but it should indeed be consistent between VCS
and non-VCS package of the same software. ;)

> Any feedback welcome, and naturally I'd love it if those packages would be
> able to reach the community repo, but maybe they need a little more time to
> mature, I'm not sure.
>
> Thanks!

I might come back to you once more when I’ll had the time to review your
packages, but I think some (more experienced) users will provide some
feedback in between and that might not be necessary anymore. ;)

Cheers,
Bruno

[0]
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2016-December/033071.html