[aur-general] [pacman-dev] Handling git submodules (Was: Re: TU Application: Dan Printzell)

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Jul 31 19:52:22 UTC 2017

On 07/31/2017 03:35 PM, Doug Newgard wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 14:16:33 -0400
> Eli Schwartz <eschwartz at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> You're both right and wrong. "$srcdir/$submodulename" will be at
>> origin/master, but `git submodule update` in the primary repo will
>> completely ignore that clone altogether and just cares about the git
>> objects which it uses in yet another clone.
>>

> This is a bit confusing. You set the URL of the submodule to the location of
> the local clone, so it doesn't ignore it, it just clones from the local clone.
> And yes, it does use the specific commit specified in the main repo, so setting
> #commit= for the submodule is useless.

Yeah, that. Although now I am starting to think...

I don't have any PKGBUILDs that do this myself. So it's never really
been on my radar. However, I am wondering if it would make more sense to
allow/use:
- $SRCDEST/$repo for the submodule url. The variable should be
  accessible, we just don't document its availability for use in a
  PKGBUILD.
- Implement noextract=() for source/git.sh to avoid having two checkouts
  with that ugly layer of indirection.
- Update the "VCS package guidelines" wiki page

--
Eli Schwartz