[aur-general] VCS package guidelines

Ivy Foster ivy.foster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 00:37:06 UTC 2017

Eli Schwartz via aur-general <aur-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> In other words, maintainers of any stripe are absolute dictators over
> their package, as long as they don't commit offenses against the AUR
> package-hosting service itself, which would be grounds for deleting the
> package, and they keep their package up to date with upstream releases,
> which failure to do so is grounds for package orphaning. You (rhet.) can
> (and often do) highly disapprove of their choices, but at the end of the
> day, they cannot be *forced* to do anything.

Of course, you also can't be forced to install a packaging whose
versioning or build options you dislike. PKGBUILDs are trivial to edit
to taste.

I recognize that the AUR ML is a slightly heretical place to suggest
this, but...the AUR is not the end-all-be-all of packaging scripts. If
you don't like what you see there, write your own or edit an existing
one. It'll take you under five minutes if you start from scratch.

In short, if you don't like what you see on the AUR and it's not
actually harmful, ignore it. You'll be happier you did.

iff