[aur-general] VCS package guidelines

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Mar 9 03:36:47 UTC 2017

On Thu, 9 Mar 2017 02:01:47 +0100, Christian Rebischke wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 05:12:19PM -0500, Eli Schwartz wrote:
>> No one is going to delete an AUR package (much less a repo
>> package :p) for a confusingly nonstandard pkgver, we don't even
>> delete packages that are *far* worse.
>
>There are reasons why AUR is also called 'unsupported'. If the people
>would only push nice and clean AUR packages into the AUR, I guess the
>AUR would be nearly empty.

And I neither want to force a maintainer to do something, nor that a
package gets deleted, but a maintainer, as well as a user might want to
learn from mistakes.

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 19:52:05 -0500, Eli Schwartz via aur-general wrote:
>> In short, if you don't like what you see on the AUR and it's not
>> actually harmful, ignore it. You'll be happier you did.
>
>Thank you for the advice. This is, in fact, what I already do (if it
>affects the built package in any way). :)

And I do it, too. Btw. I didn't edit this particular unnamed PKGBUILD,
since I can live with "_" instead of ".". I'm used to something
similar from Debian and Ubuntu, where at least package releases are
"very colourful".

In my experiences upstream usually uses "1.2-3-gabcdef7", which
conflicts a little bit with the "-" used for the Arch package release.
Since the commits are part of the package version "1.2.r3.gabcdef7"
seems to be a good compromise. I'm fine with anything else, just would
prefer if all packages share the same formatting. "." as well as "_"
and "+" are ok for me, just that one package does use another
formatting than another package makes it difficult to digest the read
versions.