[aur-general] Cabal-install-git package

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Sun May 14 02:18:52 UTC 2017

On 05/13/2017 02:09 PM, Markus Ongyerth wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I created a PKGBUILD for cabal-install (from git) and wanted to upload it to
> the aur. [1]
>
> When I fetched the repository from the server, I got a PKGBUILD that already
> exists, but isn't listed on the website.
>
> #archlinux on freenode told me, that can happen when a repository was deleted
> from the aur.
> Is it possible to get my version in? Or was it removed, because a git HEAD
> version of cabal-install is considered superseeded by something from the
> official repos?

This means that an AUR package previously existed, but was deleted.
Package deletions will remove the website listing and comments, but will
not remove the git repo backing it, because we want to preserve history.
You may be able to find the reason it was deleted by searching through
the aur-requests mailing list.

Any deleted package can be restored by ssh'ing to the AUR and running
the 'restore <name>' command, or alternatively by cloning, appending a
new commit, and pushing the new history. (You may be able to simply push
the current version, I am not sure.)
Of course, you should probably try to make sure the reason it was
initially deleted does not still apply. :)

As per the AUR standards, you cannot force-push and remove the history,
even of a deleted package, so simply treat this the same way you would
treat a package that you took over maintenance for. Essentially, that is
what happened anyway, except you also have to trigger the recreation of
the website listing as well...

--
Eli Schwartz