[aur-general] TU Application: Morten Linderud

Morten Linderud morten at linderud.pw
Wed Sep 6 08:47:15 UTC 2017

On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 10:14:34AM +0200, Florian Pritz via aur-general wrote:
> On 05.09.2017 14:07, Morten Linderud wrote:
> > signoff[2] is a tool I have written that helps testers with signing off on
> > packages they have installed from testing. It comes with neat auto-completions
> > and enough commands that it should replace the signoff page. Several testers are
> > using this to signoff packages in the testing repositories.
>
> I've once wrote something similar[1]. I haven't used it lately, but it
> still seems to work. I could have probably done a better job at
> promoting it.

I believe i was made aware of your script after i started writing this, it's
pretty neat

> Looking at your script, it's mostly the same, except you send a HEAD
> request before fetching the signoff json. Since that json is probably
> generated on demand, the HEAD request creates nearly equal load to a
> normal one, minus actually sending and possibly compressing the json.
> After all, the server needs to generate the page to know how long the
> content is.
>
> It's possible that archweb caches the generated json and my hunch is
> wrong, but it might be worth looking at that.
>
> What can really reduce load are the ETag and/or If-Modified-Since
> headers, but I don't know if archweb supports those.

The caching issue has crossed my mind a few times. I disabled compression on
the HEAD request as it was added after i wrote the machanism, and it broke the
content-length check.

I'll take a look at the ETag/If-Modified-Since headers, thanks!

> Also the get_packages function has a "tries" parameter that doesn't
> appear to be used in any way.

Hurm, unsure why that was added. Thanks for the heads up.

--
Morten Linderud

PGP: 9C02FF419FECBE16