[aur-general] add base-devel / multilib-devel group as makedepend to AUR packages ?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Sep 17 01:00:09 UTC 2017

On 09/16/2017 08:19 AM, LoneVVolf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do have the impression that the number of aur comments about pacakges
> not building unless foo is installed has gone up.
> Very often foo turns out to be part of base-devel or multilib-devel.
>
> Answering that is easy, by linking to main AUR wiki page that clearly
> states base-devel is assumed to be installed when building aur packages.
> That part appears to be overlooked often though and results in
> unnecessary clutter in aur comments.
>
> Perhaps we could put base-devel group in makedepends of aur pacakages ?
> Lib32-* / multilib packages could list both multilib-devel and base-devel.

I'm not entirely sure why you think this suggestion will ever be
accepted. One of the defining elements of Arch Linux is the belief in
RTFM, and especially the belief that people who build AUR packages
without first installing multilib-devel and/or base-devel are a pox on
the community and obvious help vampires.

By definition the only thing the Arch Linux community as a consensus
will be okay with as a solution, is a better way of ignoring such
time-wasting rude jerks.

I guess I would be okay with adding those as runtime dependencies to the
AUR helpers most commonly used by clueless morons.

--
Eli Schwartz