[aur-general] add base-devel / multilib-devel group as makedepend to AUR packages ?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Sep 17 09:07:21 UTC 2017

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 20:49:42 -0400, brent s. wrote:
>On 09/16/2017 08:36 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>well, i'm not too worried about that because I don't get emailed every
>time a maintainer uploads a bad PKGBUILD

Hi,

as a user I always need to check PKGBUILDs and other content of the
tarballs. Sometimes the content is terrible and it's time wasting even
if I should ignore the issues completely instead of fixing them and
writing the maintainer.

>> On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 20:19:56 -0400, brent s. wrote:
>> All jesting aside, pin a comment, if there should be a highly
>> recurrent issue for some users.
>
>and yet even then, they still somehow manage to not read it, which is
>why I'm tempted by a more proactive (or rather, proactively reactive)
>and direct approach.

The community could help the AUR maintainers.

I don't maintain a package, but e.g. a few days ago a maintainer of a
package pinned one of my explanations. Some users didn't follow the
latest news regarding the Perl library path change and I explained that
they should follow the advices of the latest news and when rebuilding
packages using an AUR helper, to ensure that the build dependency chain
is followed in the correct order.

Apart from not following the latest news/announcements the most
recurring issue is, that users don't import public keys, while the
output they post by a comment says that they need to import the public
key. Another user could help the maintainer by following the comments
and paste how to import a key from the clipboard. I'm doing this all
the times.

The issue you mentioned isn't a common issue.

Résumé:

You are not forced to maintain AUR packages.

I'm not forced to use any tarball from AUR at all.

We as a community could help each other. Once we explained how to solve
the issue to somebody who didn't read official announcements, FAQ,
pinned comments and even does not copy the output to the Google search
widget, before coping it to the AUR comment widget, this persons might
change this behaviour and will help other inexperienced users, too.

If we are patient we waste less time, than with writing hate mails
about "help vampires", "rude jerks" and "clueless morons" and even
changing the policy or using a robot for auto-responses won't change
the real world. We always need to temper the wind to the shorn lamb,
since there always will be a shorn lamb, whatever we do. Being patient
does cost us less energy, than being annoyed.

Regards,
Ralf