[aur-general] Help with python-magic-wormhole PKGBUILD

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Dec 10 16:34:27 UTC 2018

On 12/10/18 10:24 AM, Storm Dragon via aur-general wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I have had a few people post that they are having trouble with this
> since it became a split package. Currently, I am unable to reproduce the
> problems. I have installed it both with yay and with makepkg.  I do see
> one who tried to install it as a group, and since both provide the same
> package, that would conflict, but they should be able to install either
> python2-magic-wormhole or python-magic-wormhole.
>
> I Can't find anything wrong with the PKGBUILD. Can someone please take a
> look and let me know if there's anything I can do to make it work better
> for these people who are having problems?
>
> https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/magic-wormhole/

I can think of a few things wrong with the package. Primarily, why do
they both install the /usr/bin/wormhole binary?

Per accepted standards for python programs, if it can be built with
python3 it must be built and installed with python3. Command-line
binaries should *never* care which programming language they are
implemented with.

The fact that the "magic-wormhole" program also provides a python
library is immaterial. I assume its primary use is to run the "wormhole"
command.

If some other program also needs to import it as a python library rather
than use the executable binary interface, and needs to use the python2
version, then it should provide the library *without* providing the
binary. It will then be perfectly okay being coinstalled.

Additional notes:

The (primary) package should continue to be named "magic-wormhole".
There is no need for any provides/conflicts/replaces, since
python2-magic-wormhole should not be a replacement for the command-line
tool.

Please use proper line wrapping for extremely long depends arrays, as
the current PKGBUILD is difficult to read.

The url pointing to PyPI is not very helpful, I recommend using the
readthedocs website:
https://magic-wormhole.readthedocs.io/en/latest/welcome.html

Python packages should use `python setup.py build` in a build()
function, rather than going straight to `python setup.py install` in
package(). See:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Python_package_guidelines

--
Eli Schwartz