[aur-general] TU application: Daurnimator

Daurnimator quae at daurnimator.com
Tue Dec 11 20:10:20 UTC 2018

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 at 12:04, Robin Broda via aur-general
<aur-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 12/11/18 9:00 PM, Daurnimator wrote:
> > On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 at 11:45, Alad Wenter via aur-general
> > <aur-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
> >> 2. You have some AUR packages for LUA modules of your own making, yet
> >> they hardcode gcc lines instead of using a Makefile. [1] (At least they
> >> respect $CFLAGS and $LDFLAGS, I guess.) Why?
> >
> > The upstream packages do not ship a makefile; they "officially" only
> > support luarocks for building.
>
> You are upstream, you have the power to make a change for the better

I am not the upstream for the linked package (compat53), though I am
for others you may be talking about.

The problem is that there is no nice cross-platform makefile structure
suitable for lua libraries.
Each operating system/distro calls the lua shared library something
different, they all have their own set of required and conflicting
flags, they all have differing install locations and search paths!
I've got a back-burner project to try and homogenize things, I've
documented the status quo here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z_oM8LgwyGAsfof6_FbbBJlY-wCA6DfadwZb0N5bwwI/edit?usp=sharing