[aur-general] TU application: Daurnimator

Daurnimator quae at daurnimator.com
Tue Dec 11 21:21:46 UTC 2018

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 at 13:18, Eli Schwartz via aur-general
<aur-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Lua *does* provide a "make pc" target.

Only lua 5.1 does, it was removed in the lua 5.2 release. Due to
disagreements between debian and fedora lua package maintainers about
what it should contain.

> Admittedly, this target is
> missing the Libs: keyword so that users can actually use the invocation
> `pkg-config --libs lua` to find out the right flags for linking lua.
> This would be helpful both to users wishing to statically link, and
> those wishing to dynlink. Admittedly also, this pc target echoes to
> stdout instead of like creating the actual file.
>
> Note: the Arch, Debian, and Fedora maintainers have *all* fixed the pc
> file to provide proper Libs:, and while I wouldn't generally recommend
> relying on downstream pkg-config files, the official sources do quite
> plainly allow you to use in your Makefile:
>
> CFLAGS += $(shell pkg-config --variable includedir lua)
>
> since it is assumed lua distributors will run make pc > lua.pc and
> install this file themselves.

They do not.

The upstream lua makefile does not even support creating shared
libraries; that is patched in (differently!) by each distro.