[aur-general] TU application: Daurnimator

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue Dec 11 21:27:56 UTC 2018

On 12/11/18 3:51 PM, Daurnimator wrote:
> I think the better solution is to try and get different distros to use
> the same formats and try and unify it all with e.g. pkg-config.
> However that's a long and political process.

lua *has* a pkg-config file already, it just exists as documentation in
the Makefile apparently.

And pkg-config is not and has never been about agreeing on "formats".
It's about agreeing on a query language to find out which format any
given system is using. There is nothing requiring any distro to do
anything other than build the pkg-config file according to their Make
arguments and install the thing...

This is not hard, most software can do it properly without fuss. I fail
to see why it would represent a political process for lua specifically.

Can you point me to a bug report or pull request or mailing list
discussion or other form of discussion in the lua community where the
topic of pkg-config has been previously discussed and rejected as too
political? Because that's a startling claim.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User