[aur-general] TU Application - Filipe Laíns

Filipe Laíns filipe.lains at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 17:47:12 UTC 2018

Hello,

My name is Filipe Laíns.
You might also know me by my alias, FFY00.

I am applying to be a Trusted User with Dan Printzell's (Wild) sponsorship.

Let's get to the part where you get to know me a bit more

I am a Portuguese student and I use Linux as my main operating system since
2013. I gave Arch a try last year and I've been in love with it's ecosystem
ever since.

Since then, I started contributing to AUR and I've been maintaining quite
a few packages.

I am also fairly active in the Open Source community as you can see in my
Github profile[1].

I love to help people and that is my main motivation to become a TU.

If I do become a Trusted User, one thing I would like to do is to improve
the usability of Arch for SDR (software defined raio) development. I think
Arch is a great system for this and it's a bit of a shame that one of the
most relevant packages (soapysdr) isn't in any official repo. Most of the
work to improve the SDR support in Arch has been done by Kyle Keen, and I
thank him for that, but I still think we could do a bit more.

I don't plan to only maintain SDR related packages. I would like to maintain
anything that I use, or anything that is relevant to anyone, really.
If it makes someone's life easier it's a win.

With that being said, here's a list of packages
that I plan to move to community:
	- soapysdr
	- soapyrtlsdr
	- libratbag
	- piper
	- tribler
	- qspectrumanalyzer
	- pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa
	- synology-cloud-station-drive

Some comments on the packages,

	(soapysdr and soapyrtlsdr)
soapysdr is a vendor neutral SDR driver[2] and soapyrtlsdr is the rtlsdr
plugin for it.
The non -git versions of the packages are quite recent so they don't have
much votes yet. Their correspondent -git variants have enough votes.

	(libratbag and piper)
libratbag is a DBus daemon to configure gaming mice[3] and piper is a GTK+
app to interface with it. I do not maintain this packages but I contribute
to the upstream development. It would be helpful for the project if they
were moved to an official repo as we are thinking about changing our CI's
base distribution from Fedora to Arch.

	(tribler)
Tribler is a popular torrent client with P2P content discovery[4].

	(qspectrumanalyzer)
This is a popular spectrum analyser for SDR devices[5]. It uses soapysdr
as its default driver so it supports a wide range of SDR devices.

	(pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa)
This is a pulseaudio equalizer based on a ladspa plugin. It has a nice
GTK+ based front-end to configure it.

	(synology-cloud-station-drive)
This is a drive client for Synology devices[6].

I am also interested in adopting the following packages in community:
	- netcf
	- znc
	(packages bellow - probably, depending on my free time)
	- python2-caja
	- python2-cheetah
	- python2-exiv2
	- python2-fastimport
	- python2-ipaddr

I think that's it, thanks for bearing with me until the end.

Best regards,
Filipe Laíns ^.^

[1] https://github.com/FFY00
[2] https://github.com/pothosware/SoapySDR/wiki#features