[aur-general] Attempting to update upwork-beta, and hit a head-scratcher

Shane Simmons regeya at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 19:52:22 UTC 2018

...and all I wanted to do was find out why my account was locked, and
possibly get it unlocked so I could update a single package after getting
an alert on it, and alternatively have someone mark the package as orphaned
if I couldn't.

I think I regret my decision.

You know, my apologies for not realizing, despite spending loads of time
avoiding -git packages, that -git packages don't follow the same packaging
guidelines as other packages.  I should have known that 'pkgver' wasn't
what to pay attention to, but rather I should have reviewed the VCS package
guidelines.  Seeing the output of 'pacman -Qi expac-git' would have told me
that the problem was  me, not the package, even though expac-git at the
time had a comment on there questioning whether the package's history had
been erased.  Running into the error and not knowing the solution on my own
and not being willing to hunt down the problem but rather posting to
aur.archlinux.org in hopes of some guidance from fellow users was surely my
sign that I wasn't smart enough to use an AUR helper, and probably that
after years of using Arch, that I probably shouldn't even be using Arch.

Message received.

I mean...I understand where you're coming from, but "users should be
turing-complete" is part of why I chose to not use aurman.   That's not a
ding on them or their work, because it's an awesome package manager, but
they take aggro behavior toward users to an extreme.