[aur-general] Keras circular dependency resolution

Robby Stokoe robbystk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 03:36:17 UTC 2018

Keras recently moved two of its submodules to separate
modules---keras-applications, and keras-preprocessing [1].  These also
import keras and will not work without it, nor will keras work without
those submodules.  Currently the submodule packages depend on keras,
but making keras depend on the submodules creates unresolvable circular
dependencies.  Currently the submodules are listed as optional
dependencies of keras with the note that keras will not work without
them.

This seems like a problem to me.  Someone wanting to install keras will
be able to do so without installing the submodules but won't be able to
use it without them.  The only warning will be the optional dependencies
which seems insufficient to me.  Since both actually depend on the
other(s) to work, the only solution I can see is to include them all in
the python-keras package.  Is there any other way to resolve this?  Is
it not as big of a deal as I think it is?  How would such a change even
get implemented?  Thanks.

[1]: https://github.com/keras-team/keras/pull/10339