[aur-general] pkgrel - Is it correct that some "fixes" aren't "fixes"?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Jun 22 17:33:05 UTC 2018

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 19:20:24 +0200, Robin Broda via aur-general wrote:
>On 06/22/2018 07:18 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> see https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/dh-make/ for "The fix of the
>> source url was neither a fix...".
>
>Changing the source url to a different url of the same source will not
>influence the built package
>
>> Is it correct that some "fixes" aren't considered as being "fixes",
>> so that the pkgrel shouldn't increase?
>
>If the built package does not change, pkgrel does not need to be
>incremented.

Moving a package from AUR to Community or vice versa also doesn't
change the content. I guess the pkgrel should inform about each change
done to a package providing the same pkgver.

Somebody might have experienced that 2.201801-1 didn't build. The user
is monitoring the package and expects that the fixed version is >
2.201801-1, so assuming the pkgver should be the same, it should be
2.201801-1+. If the pkgrel isn't increased, how should the user notice
that the issue is fixed, by monitoring each change to the URL? Keep in
mind, if the content of the URL does change, it just could be an
additional comment, it not necessarily is a fix. The broken package
already was released, so fixing it IMO is a fix worth increasing the
pkgrel.