[aur-general] pkgrel - Is it correct that some "fixes" aren't "fixes"?

Robin Broda arch-ml at coderobe.net
Fri Jun 22 17:41:49 UTC 2018

On 06/22/2018 07:33 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 19:20:24 +0200, Robin Broda via aur-general wrote:
>> If the built package does not change, pkgrel does not need to be
>> incremented.
>
> Moving a package from AUR to Community or vice versa also doesn't
> change the content. I guess the pkgrel should inform about each change
> done to a package providing the same pkgver.

Moving a package from the AUR to [community] means that [community] now
holds a build made by the adopting TU, incrementing the pkgrel ensures
that package users automatically get the now-official build.

Unless the package is 100% reproducible and was built in a clean environment,
the package contents will differ to the ones that users who built it themself
may already have -> My initial statement - the built package has changed.

> The broken package already was released,
> so fixing it IMO is a fix worth increasing the pkgrel.

Nobody could've possibly built it like that,
so the package never existed in that state.

--
Rob (coderobe)