[aur-general] TU Application - Robin Broda

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Mar 4 14:02:57 UTC 2018

On 03/03/2018 05:50 PM, Nico via aur-general wrote:
>> After becoming a TU, I'd like to look into promoting a couple of
>> packages from the AUR over time, including but not limited to
>> `rutorrent`, `psensor`, `glava` (currently `glava-git`, waiting for
>> tagged releases), `gtkhash`, `streem`, & `polybar` - assuming that no
>> issues preventing the packaging (& inclusion in the repos) turn up and
>> the popularity/votes are high enough to warrant inclusion.

> I might be wrong, but dont we require to have at least 10 votes on AUR
> to move a package to [community]? In this case none of your packges has
> more than 6 votes at the time of writing this. There is also a rule
> about >=1% popularity on pkgstats, but it seems every package has at
> least 1%? Or does this TU application count as a proposol on which 3 TUs
> must aggree?

Okay?

rutorrent -- 126 votes
psensor -- 89 votes
gtkhash -- 49 votes
polybar -- 87 votes

Yes, streem has only 1 vote, while glava-git has only 6 + no actual
stable releases... but it was also only recently uploaded and that might
easily change, besides which coderobe did say "and the popularity/votes
are high enough to warrant inclusion."

We will most likely not be blitzed by a series of unpopular fringe-use
packages. :p

> In this case none of your packges has more than 6 votes at the time of
> writing this.

It sort of feels like you are incredibly focused on the packages that he
has stated a desire to see in [community], which intersect with the
packages which he personally maintains, to the exclusion of the rest...

> Are those rules even up to date? This is somehow offtopic, the TU
> application just made me wonder about it. To me it looks like those
> rules are outdated and in the end everyone can move whatever they want
> to [community].
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_Trusted_User_Guidelines
>
> ~Nico

But yeah, those rules are guidelines. They're not generally policed, for
one, and probably no one can tell afterwards anyway because once the
package is cleaned up from the AUR we can't really see how many votes it
had.

But really, the idea is to generally avoid filling the repos with
packages no one other than the TU who uploaded it is actually interested
in... and votes are a rough guide as to whether that is likely.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User