[aur-general] Advice needed on bundling a specific Python library

Simon Perry aur at sanxion.net
Tue May 15 04:35:12 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I'm the maintainer of pyfa [1][2], a tool for EVE Online players. I was
wondering if I could get some advice on how to include an arbitrary
version of a Python library into the package?

The problem is that the current version of python-wxpython in community
has a bug that causes the latest version of pyfa to crash, and the pyfa
developers have set a hard requirement of wxPython == 4.0.0b2 [3] (the
issue will apparently by fixed in 4.0.2).

What's the best or most elegant way to handle this?

The only thing I can think of is using pip to install this version into
my $pkgdir and setting PYTHONPATH in the startup shell script to force
pyfa to use the bundled version. However, I'm not sure of this and would
like any pointers or better a better way to handle it.

Cheers.

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pyfa/
[2] https://github.com/pyfa-org/Pyfa
[3] https://github.com/pyfa-org/Pyfa/blob/master/requirements.txt