[aur-general] Advice needed on bundling a specific Python library

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue May 15 10:59:12 UTC 2018

On 05/15/2018 02:27 AM, brent s. wrote:
> The "user-friendly" way is to create a second package, e.g.
> python-wxpython-400b2 or something, and make that a dependency. The
> issue there is it is a strict requirement of the AUR that you not
> reproduce any packages already in the official repositories so that
> would not, I'd say, make this a valid option.

Then we're incredibly lucky you don't set policy, because you're totally
entirely wrong.

I suggest you go looking sometime and see just how many packages in the
AUR are foo-$oldversion. Then for bonus points look at how many
*official repository* packages are like that.

> You certainly could use a bundled custom pythonpath (*technically* you
> wouldn't even need to use pip, and just include a static build as a
> source tarball or something if you wanted to remove the pip dependency),
> but the problem is once 4.0.2 hits arch repos, you'd have to undo all that.

Once 4.0.2 hits the Arch repos, any solution of any sort would need to
be undone, whether that is pinning the version to some external
$oldversion compat package in the AUR or bundling in a custom PYTHONPATH.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User