[aur-general] TU Membership Application

Santiago Torres-Arias santiago at archlinux.org
Thu Nov 8 04:13:35 UTC 2018

On Wed, Nov 07, 2018 at 11:04:43PM -0500, Eli Schwartz via aur-general wrote:

> Because their tarballs used to be insane. And giving you the tarball for
> master is a regression they fixed, not an API they dropped. :p

It's an API url they dropped. They moved it around and instead of 404'd
they just left it broken.

True though, probably github is not prone to things like this...

> It should be owned by root unless some process uses something like
> install -o username -g groupname.

Ah, I'm still not sure if the executable should setuid to update than
when run as a user (although it shouldn't be able if it's just a
script).

> >> Looks like it just copies a couple python modules into a directory and
> >> then creates a wrapper script to run them. What would you suggest
> >> running in build(), exactly?
> >
> > I'm not entirely sure, I see that there's a buildscript using
> > pyinstaller, although I'm not sure why exactly...
>
> Most likely in order to create some giant windows executable that ships
> the entire python application runtime, plus the gam source code, in
> order to spare Windows users the need to install Python.

I think you're right, but I'm still confused as to why there's a linux
vaiant of it...

    https://github.com/jay0lee/GAM/blob/master/src/linux-build.sh

Probably for the same reason as you pointed out though...

-Santiago