[aur-general] On TU application, TU participation and community/ package quality

Santiago Torres-Arias santiago at archlinux.org
Sun Nov 11 18:54:22 UTC 2018

> Hello Santiago,
>
> First of all thanks for rewriting this up:
> https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2018-November/029392.html

No problem! Hope I didn't miss anything. I was wondering whether to post
the link to this thread, thanks for that :)

> I have a few questions about your oversight comittee. You wrote:

> > Finally, a third proposal (and the one I'm championing) is to generate
> > an elected organism within the TU community to overlook the performance
> > of Trusted Users on the duties they agreed to fulfill. This oversight
> > committee would track the activities of individual TUs and ensure that
> > they are in fact participating in reviews, submitting proper
> > high-quality PKGBUILDS, and moving packages to and from the AUR when the
> > package's popularity changes.
> >
> > The methods by which this committee would enforce better TU
> > participation are still to be discussed, but issuing warnings and
> > probably bring cases to the broader TU community regarding an
> > underperforming TU may be sufficient and nondisruptive.
>
> When I understand this correctly you want to punish TUs when they don't
> fullfill their duties. How do you want to accomplish this and what do
> you mean with 'moving packages to and from the AUR whrn the package's
> popularity changes'? So only this commitee should be able to push new
> packages to [community]?

"Punishing" was a word that I was avoiding. I wouldn't want this
committee to be vested with power over TU's for obvious reasons. If at
all, I would be proposing for them to:

1) Privately warn TUs when of any faults they are committing
2) Follow up publicly when the warnings are disregarded
3) Open a public case with the rest of the TU's to remove the offender,
   as it id describing in the bylaws[1]

Cheers!
-Santiago.

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/trusted-user/TUbylaws.html#_removal_of_a_tu