[aur-general] TU Application: Daniel M. Capella

Daniel M. Capella polycitizen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 04:50:34 UTC 2018

Quoting Levente Polyak via aur-general (2018-11-14 17:00:38)
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Small summary of things I repeatedly noticed:
>
> - # Generated by mksrcinfo v8 Wed Nov 14 05:46:26 UTC 2018
>   I would say remove this ancient package from your system
>   and use makepkg --printsrcinfo instead

Done.

> - if a setup.py uses entry_points for scripts that
>   means setuptools is not just a make but a hard dependency

Totally forgot about this. Thank you for listing all the packages that
need the change; will roll this out.

> - tests are awesome <3 run them whenever possible! more is better!
>   pulling sources from github is favorable when you get free tests
>   and sometimes manpages/docs

Will work with the upstreams to distribute these. I prefer to use published
offerings as they are what the authors intend to be used. GitHub autogenerated
tarballs are also subject to change:
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=151973450514279&w=2

For Rust sources there's also this problem:
https://doc.rust-lang.org/cargo/faq.html#why-do-binaries-have-cargolock-in-version-control-but-not-libraries

Crates explicitly filter out lock files. `publish-lockfile` for binary crates
is still only available in Cargo nightly. Communication is already in
progress with the relevant upstreams.

> [+] Running xxarhtna --verbose --pedantic
>
> asciinema-rs:
> - provides asciinema, but where is the conflicts?

Done.

> black-git:
> - this should be called python-black
> - running unit tests is missing
> - setuptools is a hard dependency, setup.py uses entry_points
> - python-aiohttp should be a checkdepends otherwise tests
>   deactivate several things

Didn't request to be a co-maintainer for this, and haven't looked at the
pkgbuild yet. Will pass the notes along.

> espeak-ng:
> - That shouldn't provide espeak, its not a drop in replacement
>   and breaks stuff, this epoch on espeak is for a reason:
>
> https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/espeak&id=fee824f6ed964b1bab1586fdc4342577f2a57bf2
> - autogen.sh should be a prepare() thing

Well then. Done.

> firefox-bookmarkdupes:
> - building from source will have nice signatures

I check these against upstream checksums:
`curl -I https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/latest/bookmark-dupes/ | grep Digest`

Building Fx extensions is among the last things I want to do. :p Pretty sure I
would have to setup an AMO account to then also sign the extension myself.

> gitleaks:
> - there are tests available for check()

Done.

> mwic
> - the hack does upstream do, it will create .py files in usr/share/mwic/lib/
>   that lack the pyo/pyc files and if running as root the imports will
>   create untracked files in that directory that will remain forever

Will see what can be done.

> pcaudiolib
> - prepare() is a better place for autogen.sh

Done.

https://github.com/raphlinus/pulldown-cmark/pull/152#issuecomment-435519277

> shaderc:
> - i'm sorry, i gonna need to pull this into [extra] as part
>   of an update. thanks for the work

C'est la vie.

> python-black:
> - setuptools is a hard dependency, setup.py uses entry_points
> - python-aiohttp should be a checkdepends otherwise tests
>   deactivate several things

Done.

> python-soco:
> - there are tests available for check() via py.test

Requires jumping through hoops. See the note:
https://soco.readthedocs.io/en/latest/development/unittests.html?highlight=test#running-the-unit-tests

> - maybe distribute some docs as well like manpages from docs dir

I don't see any manpages there. This is a library.

> razercfg:
> - razercfg.install could be removed, ldconfig systemd-tmpfiles and udevadm
>   are handled via hooks

Done.

> - do we _really_ need to split razer mouse tool UI and daemon here?
> doubt it tbh.

The UI is completely optional. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

> speedtest-zpeters:
> - whats wrong with the tests? maybe comment?

Don't remember exactly. Either way, the packaged release reports the
wrong results, and a complete rewrite is in progress.

> spotify-adkiller-git:
> - i dont like file-type postfixes in /usr/bin they should be removed
>   and ADKILLER= be adjusted

Done.

> spt:
> - this needs a build() func, don't build implicitly in package()

Done.

> - CPPFLAGS are not respected and should be populated properly
>   an upstream patch for that would be best

Will have to figure that out.

> termtosvg:
> - there are nice manpages for this CLI tool in the upstream sourceso on GH

https://github.com/nbedos/termtosvg/pull/77

Poked upstream for a release.

> trust-dns-server:
> - there are tests that could be run via check()

Done. \o/

> [*] xxarhtna report finished
>
> cheers,
> Levente

Thank you very much for the review. Go LDFLAGS is still on the todo. Packaging
for Go has perhaps been more traumatizing than even Node.js.

--
Best,
polyzen