[aur-general] Fwd: FS#60333: namcap exits 0 when errors found (Task closed)

Tom Hale tom at hale.ee
Mon Oct 8 06:23:03 UTC 2018

I noticed that even when namcap prints out errors, it still exits 0.

I raised this at:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/60333

It was closed:

Reason for closing: Not a bug
Additional comments about closing: namcap runs fine, so exiting with an
error makes no sense

To me the "reason for closing" is like saying that diff should exit 0
when two files are different because diff ran fine.

If namcap is to be used in any automated packaging tools (or even my
dodgy script), then it makes sense to have meaningful exit codes. And
possibly an option to also have warnings also exit non-0 for the
persnickety amongst us.

I note that the python source returns 0 and 2, but never 1.

I'm a newbie here, but I believe my argument has merit, so I raise it
here for possible discussion.

--
Tom Hale