[aur-general] PKGBUILD for an .AppImage

tom at hale.ee tom at hale.ee
Thu Oct 11 16:53:01 UTC 2018

On 11 October 2018 13:27:40 Robin Broda via aur-general
<aur-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 10/11/18 8:12 AM, Tom Hale wrote:
>> I searched through the forums and can't find anything on packaging an AppImage.
>>
>> The only app referenced (upwork-appimage) is no longer available.
>>
>> The particular AppImage in question is:
>> https://github.com/robert7/nixnote2/releases
>>
>> How do I search this mailing list online?
>>
>> What advice would you give with .AppImages?
>>
>> I *could* rip it open, but the only snag I hit was the binary is linked to
>> `libhunspell-1.3.so.0` whereas Arch has `/usr/lib/libhunspell-1.6.so.0`.
>>
>> Would it be a no-no to install this previous libhunspell version in /usr/lib?
>>
>> If using an unextacted AppImage, where should I install the .AppImage itself?
>>
>> /usr/bin/$pkgname.AppImage with a simlink from /usr/bin/$pkgname?
>>

>> Cheers,
>
> Looks like nixnote2 is already on the AUR and properly built from source,
> both stable and -git.
> A binary package ripped from an AppImage is probably the last thing you
> should be proposing...

I am the packager of the -git package and will likely disown the pinned
package.

Could you justify your assertion?

It seems I will need to go with the whole appimage... Upstream won't change
the linkage to a versioned library filename.

--
Tom Hale