[aur-general] TU Application: Daniel Bermond (dbermond)

Daniel Bermond danielbermond at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 21:35:53 UTC 2018

On 10/14/18 5:03 PM, Doug Newgard via aur-general wrote:
> Decided to take a quick look at your PKGBUILDs, and just a few spot checks
> makes me wonder. The first one I click on is apache-flex-sdk, I see that you
> aren't the original submitter, so I look at the git log and see that the first
> thing you did when taking over this was to remove pgp checks from the source.
> WTF. Look at the PKGBUILD, see a totally useless prepare function, ok, not a
> big thing. Let's check another one, clicked on flif, see msg2s being used for
> no reason and bad conflicts. Click on a couple more, see that those issues
> aren't mistakes, they're a fundamental misunderstanding.
>
> Maybe my perception was colored by that really bad decision to remove the pgp
> checks, and while the PKGBUILDs are mostly fine, there seems to be things about
> packaging that you don't understand yet. Is it time to become a TU already?

I usually don't use pgp on my aur packages because people tend to
complain a lot about building issues. They fail to handle the keys and
start complaining to the packager, and this is a big stress. When
dealing with repository packages this is another story, of course. Since
this was raised as a main issue, I'll be adding the pgp checks back again.

I know that we should not use msg2 because it's makepkg internal. But it
helps to diagnose user problems by helping to identify at which stage a
build error is happening. For sure I can remove it if required to. ;)

Regarding the conflicts situation, now I better understand it. I will
start to fix it my packages as soon as possible! :)

--
Best regards,
Daniel Bermond